HTTP Sorta Awe-tistic: 40

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

40


This is where I began to do business with God, back when I didn't know much beyond the names of the four gospels, back when friends spent their days and nights wandering the mall and I spent that same time working at home for my mom, selling furniture, and wondering if I'd ever have a 'normal' teen life. Back when I thought normal really was the norm.

I didn't know anything about the faith of Bono, or Larry Mullen, or the Edge, but it didn't matter. I would cry everytime I heard the song--a soul cry of mourning, not the narcissistic self-absorbed sorrow of hormones. How long to sing this song? I wanted to know because I didn't like the words of my life, much less the tune. I could only see one side of the earthly paradox--the pain of here, the trap of finiteness. In time, I heard the transcendence, heard the joy in the midst of the sorrow...felt the soft touch of there.

This is my 40th blog on this site. Already I've been graced with much good here, and I'm so thankful for the fellow travellers I've discovered. You have all given me a touch of there.

My little gift to you today is a song. If you've never listened to U2's '40', please give it a try.

40

May you all sing a new song today.

I waited patiently for the Lord
He inclined and heard my cry
He brought me up out of the pit
Out of the miry clay

I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song

How long to sing this song
How long to sing this song
How long, how long, how long
How long to sing this song

He set my feet upon a rock
And made my footsteps firm
Many will see
Many will see and hear

I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song

How long to sing this song
How long to sing this song
How long, how long, how long
How long to sing this song

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy A. said...

Happy 40th!

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home