HTTP Sorta Awe-tistic: Wounded

Monday, July 24, 2006

Wounded

Something is wrong with Tesla, and we don't know what. Of course, she can't tell us. That would be too easy.

So we're left trying to decipher the second-hand code of her body language, the time of day, possible event triggers, food source irritants...as well as the probable influence of weather patterns, star configurations, saints' days...whatever might help us sniff out the problem. It's terribly tricky. Really.

In fact, Randy's designing a whole compiler at work to help us deduce our daughter's mental/physical state of health. When he gets it going, we're gonna make a mint off the autism community! Ha.

Until that magical day when Tesla can tell us what hurts (or Randy's compiler works), we can do nothing but sit by and let her rage like a wounded animal until she calms down long enough to let us comfort her.

My gut says it's the yeast thing again. We've been treating it all summer with pau d'arco, but what we need is a serious prescription anti-fungal, something our current ped PCP probably won't give us. In fact, I know we need a different doctor. But who?

Then there's the VBS we signed her up for this week. And you know what that means: sugary treats! (Oh lord, is this all we know to feed our kids with??)

So today they passed out cupcakes. Then another teacher remembered Tesla usually brings her own snacks. So they took the cupcake away... And Tesla did what any sane child would do if her cupcake were snatched from her: she freaked.

Now I've got another dilemma: do I let her stay in VBS, eat the sugary snacks with the rest of the kids? or do we only stay as long as my registration duties require me to be there--and then leave to go home and drive one another nuts all day??

Poor kid. Poor mom. Poor everybody.

So I think I'll rework my gluten-free cupcake recipes and see what I can come up with for our frazzled family.

It's not gonna be these. But they're pretty to look at, aren't they? They're from a Singapore baker, so you know they're teeny-tiny Hello Kitty bite-sized minatures! Ooooooooooo!

If you're a cupcake freak (and as far as food fetishes go, I guess it's not so bad...), you might want to check out this site for inspiration, or tantalization! Warning: very enabling.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Missing our Pursuit of God discussions, perhaps, when the summer winds down...

I feel for you with the sugar issue. I have an allergy to yeast, so I shouldn't eat sugar (but I can't say that I'm disciplined enough to give it up). It is frustrating that the only things we serve in group eating situations are usually filled with the stuff, and though I have tried to get my kids to slow down on the sugar consumption, I know WWIII would be sparked at my house if I tried to ban it entirely.

May God's grace fall on you and your family...(and may your gluten-free cupcakes be as scrumptious as Hello-Kitty-Singapore-Bakery confections). ;-)

Sherri

5:21 AM  
Blogger Amy A. said...

Ack. I'm sorry. Other than offering to bring everyone the same healthy snack, I can't think of a way to minimize this challenge. I know I'd scream too if my cupcake were taken away.

Snack days at school are the same. The kids rotate one day a month to bring a snack and when I send fruit/veggie/dip snacks, I usually get them all sent back to me. If I send cookies, there is nothing left.

Sounds like your compiler will be a huge help to people. Tell your man to keep working on it! Not only for kids with autism, but non-verbal kids, toddlers, elderly. Better call the patent office today!

Will be praying for you this week!

9:39 AM  
Blogger shanna said...

It's that pernicious corn syrup!

Well, I took her back today, and she stayed. When I picked her up, one of her teachers told me what a cutie she is. Of course my heart beamed inside my chest. But then again, Tesla was blissing out on a grape sucker (only her second in her little lifetime), so she looked harmless enough.

heh, heh, heh...

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies! Motherhood is tough no matter what our battle is!

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shanna... that doctor would be Dr. Goldberg. Perhaps you & God can talk about how you can make it happen financially. It truly isn't THAT bad... I can talk exact dollars & cents with you, if you'd like. All I can tell you is that we love this man &^ are confident in his care. He is passionate about helping our kids, that is his sole reason for doing what he does... it's so apparent when you see & speak to him face to face.

Angela H.

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home