HTTP Sorta Awe-tistic: Back to Social Stories

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Back to Social Stories


It's the second day T didn't want to go to school, and I think I now know why: it's the crying kids.

Because T's been in the Early Intervention program and has already been at this school for a year, I forgot that the other 15 kids in the classroom haven't. And for some it's their first time away from Mommy. I forget.

So we're back to social stories because crying kids really unnerve T. I doubt it's the noise issue (though sometimes that may be true); more likely it's because T's always had trouble with strong emotion--she simply doesn't know how to distinguish between her own emotions and those of others. (I realize some adults have this problem, too, but they have other labels for that sort of thing.)

I made one tonight, all about crying and why we cry and what to do if a school friend is crying. I'll tell you how it goes later.

Sigh. Yes, I am a writer...

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

abbi struggles with this also - it confuses her to no end... poor kiddos. i'm anxious to hear how the social stories help!

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home