HTTP Sorta Awe-tistic: Good Eatin', Local Style

Friday, September 29, 2006

Good Eatin', Local Style


Even before T's diagnosis, our family was conscious of the kinds of foods we ate. Back then, though, we ate a vegetarian diet, with occasional lapses for Jack Stack BBQ and meals at friends' homes. But when we had to eliminate most forms of grain and gluten from T's diet, we went back to meat in our meals and joined the Oklahoma Food Co-op. I had read Fast Food Nation, and no way was I gonna eat just any meat! Besides, since we'd moved to a moderately rural area, we had become more aware of the struggles of small ranchers and farmers, and felt it was our reasonable duty to support local, small growers.

This past week our favorite farm was featured on the local news in a spot about buying local food as a hedge against bio-terrorism. (!) I gotta admit, bio-terrorism is really the last thing on my mind when I choose to buy local, but hey, if that's your issue, then fine. Mine is agri-bid-ness and the health costs we'll have to pay for things like FDA approved viral sprays for processed meats.

Do we buy any commercial, agri-bid-ness food? Yeah, sure. Everytime we eat out we do because there isn't a restaurant in this town that specializes in local food. And yes, we still buy many things, like frozen vegetables or my experiment with assembled food dinners, for convenience. I really tried the 100% alternative food scene, but with two very persnickity eaters in my home, I decided that a 50/50 split would save my sanity and preserve their lives. Besides, I'm really not into canning.

So check out the spot. David Lewis and his Goose Island Farm family are lovely, and it was fun to see them get a little publicity.

If this idea appeals, find yourself a farmer and pre-order that holiday turkey now. I'll bet you'll be impressed with the difference. But don't wait--someone may tag your turkey today!

Gobble-gobble!

1 Comments:

Blogger shanna said...

Thanks, Ro. I'll try to find that. Recipes are a plus, because after all that reading you're often left wondering "where do I start?"

Hope you get back to supporting those farmers soon!

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home